April 2, 2011

Humble Origins

Lots of good things have humble origins.

Many of Tim's pieces are made from dumpster-bound wood. He rescues it, cleans it up, trims it, and before you know it, VoilĂ . A beautiful new piece!

But, back to those humble origins...they happen.

Last week, following a lead a friend gave him, Tim "harvested" some new materials. Er, old materials. A retired gentleman living out in the country was tearing down an out building, and was planning on burning all the wood.

DSC_0200

Tim was very glad to rescue this beautiful wood.

It may not look beautiful yet, but it will. I think he already has a plan in mind for each piece.
DSC_0206

Yesterday, he went out and finished loading all he wanted...
DSC_0300

It was late enough when he was done, he just went ahead a brought it home. I was glad to get to take some pictures.
DSC_0301

When I look at that pile of wood, I admit, all I see is a mess. No way could you pay me to load all that up, or clean it up.

DSC_0302

But when Tim looks at it, he sees the character in each board. I love that he can look at a piece of wood, and he sees how thick it is--which tells him is it's really old, or just sort of old. He sees the texture of the cuts, and can imagine what tools were used on it.

DSC_0306

Some of the wood he gathered is really old. He gets really excited about that. He sees kitchen tables, bulletin board frames, mirrors, and I don't know what else. He's having so much fun.

I went down and visited the "shop" this week, and was impressed with the idea that not only do our products have humble origins...so does Poplar Head.

DSC_0181

I caught Tim painting outside. I know he dreams of having an indoor paint booth...vented, temperature controlled, equipped with a monster air compressor with nozzle hook-ups all over the place.

But he patiently uses what he's got for now.
DSC_0182

He's working on some new frames...
DSC_0217

They're going to be beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment